Welcome to our 12 DAYS OF HOMESCHOOL CHRISTMAS POSTS! If you are just joining us, here’s what you’ve missed so far:
- 1ST DAY: Printable ~CHRISTMAS COUPONS~
- 2ND DAY: 12 “Living Literature” Christmas Picture Books
- 3RD DAY: Give your child the WORLD this Christmas!
- 4TH DAY: 12 Unforgettable CHRISTMAS CHAPTER BOOKS
- 5TH DAY: The SKILL-FILLED STOCKING
- 6TH DAY: 12 HOLIDAY HOMESCHOOL HACKS
- 7TH DAY: Our Favorite Christ-Centered Christmas Traditions
- 8TH DAY: Two printable STOCKING STUFFER FREEBIES for kids!
- 9TH DAY: Visions of Sugarplums CHRISTMAS CANDY TUTORIAL!
For our 10th day of Homeschool Christmas . . .
Why we love this Hot Chocolate:
~made with raw cocoa powder (talk about nutritious)~
~made rich and creamy with coconut milk (talk about delicious)~
~sweetened with maple syrup instead of sugar (talk about syruptitious)~
~mere minutes to make~
Rich & Creamy Vegan Hot Cocoa
Active Time: 10 minutes
Yields: 5-6 mugs of hot cocoa
- 7 tablespoons unsweetened, raw cocoa powder
- 10-14 tablespoons maple syrup (10 if you like your chocolate dark, 14 if you like it milky sweet)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- *optional garnish sprinkling of Candy Cane crumbles from our Christmas Candy Tutorial
- cooking pot
- measuring spoons & cup measure
1.) Fully combine cocoa powder & maple syrup FIRST! This is basically the only thing in this recipe you can mess up . . . unless you boil the pot over . . . I’ve done both. I’m kind of a kitchen klutz . . . I blame creativity and multi-tasking. Just make sure to fully whisk together the cocoa powder and maple syrup together BEFORE you add any of the milk. Seriously. If you add all the ingredients at once you will never . . . I repeat never . . . get all the cocoa lumps out and then you will be drinking hot chocolate riddled with little bursts of bitter cocoa powder. Not comforting. Not indulgent. But not to worry! The cocoa powder blends beautifully into the syrup to create an all-natural chocolate syrup to rival that bunny with the candy cane straw. Then and only then can you add the milk.
2.) Add your milks: dump in your coconut milk and almond milk. Whisk to combine. There WILL sometimes be coconut cream lumps that don’t blend in until heated. This is ok! Those lumps are about to melt and make this cocoa over the top creamy and delicious.
3.) Turn heat on medium, leave pot uncovered, and stir often: cook your cocoa slowly until steaming hot. Don’t boil, or simmer, or cover. This hot chocolate is super frothy and loves to boil over if cooked at too high a heat. It is ready to drink when it is piping hot or you can turn it to low or off at the first sight of simmering bubbles.
4.) Ladle up!
YUM & DONE!
Pairs perfectly with one of these Christmas Classic Read-Alouds!
And you may want to check out our Homeschool Holiday Cocoa Coupons!
Cheers to sipping happy and healthy this week!
Thanks for reading!
Love, ~Our Holistic Homeschool~