“You may have tangible wealth untold;
caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you will never be.
I had a mother who read to me.”
HAPPY READING, HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!
Ages 0-3; Picture Books
- Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes, Mem Fox
- Time for Bed, Mem Fox
- Spot Loves His Mommy, Eric Hill
- Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed, Eileen Cristelow
- Llama llama Red Pajama, Anna Dewdney
- Is your Mama a Llama, Deborah Guiarino
- Are You My Mother, P.D. Eastmann
- Piglet and Mama, Margaret Wild
- The Runaway Bunny, Margaret Wise-Brown
- Five Minutes Peace, Jill Murphy
- Love You Forever, Robert Munsch
- Bim Bim Sop! Linda Sue Park
- Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear, Nancy White Carlstrom
- Just for You, Mercer Mayer
Ages 3-6; Picture Books + early Read-Aloud *Chapter Book*
- Blueberries for Sal, Robert Mccloskey
- Make Way for Ducklings, Robert Mccloskey
- Katy No Pocket, Emmy Payne and illustrated by H.A. Rey
- Pancakes Pancakes, Eric Carle
- Little Bear, Else Homelund Minarik
- Mother’s Day Mice, Eve Bunting
- *Gooseberry Park* chapter book, Cynthia Rylant
Ages 6-9; Picture Books + *Chapter Books*
- Three Little Kittens, Little Red Riding Hood, & Jack and the Beanstalk, Paul Galdone
- The Story of Ferdinand, Munro Leaf
- The Cap that Mother Made, Christine Westerberg
- Patricia Polacco books: Just Plain Fancy, When Lightning Comes in a Jar, My Rotten Red-Headed Older Brother, Thank You Mr. Falker
- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, Judith Viorst
- *Ramona and Her Mother*, Beverly Cleary
- *Matilda*, Roald Dahl
- *Mary Poppins series*, P.L. Travers
- *Peter Pan*, James Matthew Barrie
- *Nurse Matilda*, Christiana Brand
- *Chitty Chitty Bang Bang*, Ian Flemming
- *The Moffats*, Eleanor Estes
Ages 9-12; Chapter Books
- Sarah Plain and Tall, Patricia MacLachlan
- All of a Kind Family, Sydney Taylor
- Archer’s Quest, Linda Sue Park
- Thank You Ma’am, Langston Hughes
- The Railway Children, Edith Nesbit
- Anne of Green Gables series, Lucy Maud Montgomery
Ages 12 and up; Chapter Books
- Louisa May Alcott’s Little Women, Little Men, Jo’s Boys
- The Help, Kathryn Stockett
THREE CHEERS FOR MOM!
You may also want to check out my post: MOTHER’S DAY MOVIES to watch with your kid(s) this weekend; streaming links included!
Love, ~Our Holistic Homeschool~
10 Replies to ““Richer than I you will never be. I had a mother who read to me.” ~MOTHER’S DAY READ-ALOUDS~”
Completely forgot about that Strickland Gillian poem- just love it! This is a great list!
What is the illustration in the bottom right of ages 0-3 from, with the mama tucking her daughter into bed?
Oh!! That is a LOVELY board book version of the Little Golden Book “My Goodnight Book” illustrated by Eloise Wilkin. Sadly, so sadly, it is out of print but often comes available on Thriftbooks! It’s a gem for little ones. 🙂
Ooo, thank you! It was one of those illustrations that captured my heart immediately!
Oh me, too! I just adore anything illustrated by Eloise Wilkin! Thanks for chiming in fellow book friend!