~Our 19 DAY JOURNEY of inspiration, activities, and resources continues!~
“When I grow up, I too will go to faraway places, and when I grow old, I too will live beside the sea.”
“That is all very well, Little Alice,” said her grandfather, “but there is a third thing you must do.”
“What is that?” asked Alice.
“You must do something to make the world more beautiful,” said her grandfather.
~Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney~
MISS RUMPHIUS LINKS
Listen to Miss Rumphius on audiobook, click here: Hoopla Digital link
or for YouTube, click here: YouTube link
Listen to or order Miss Rumphius on Amazon, click here: Amazon Audible Audiobook & Prime
The Miss Rumphius Challenge
Worry. Uncertainty. Struggle. Helplessness.
These are the words that come to mind when thinking of how to define this frozen moment in our history, the longest most lifeless spring I can remember. But I was taught that the best remedy for what ails the mind is to GET UP AND DO SOMETHING. Doing something practical, something useful, or creating something beautiful (with our hands or with our minds) is the best recourse I know of (other than prayer) for conquering worry, uncertainty, struggle, helplessness, and regaining PURPOSE in our lives. Better yet, what if the purpose we set our hands to was an unselfish one?
So, join me in reading Miss Rumphius with our kids (ages 5+), and then doing something together to make the world more beautiful.
What does making the world more beautiful look like? Beautiful is, after all, a diverse word with a definition up for much interpretation. To me, beautiful can mean: lovely, kind, good, pure, plentiful. To you, beautiful may have many other meanings.
MY HUMBLE LIST OF ACTIVITIES & PROJECTS TO MAKE THE WORLD MORE BEAUTIFUL WITH YOUR KIDS:
- Ask your kid(s) how they want to make the world more beautiful! They may have the best idea on this list!
- Facetime/Skype with grandparents or those who are lonely
- Facetime/Skype with younger cousins and read them a favorite book (maybe Miss Rumphius!) or sing a favorite song
- Perform a play, dance, or funny video and send to grandparents or anyone who is lonely or bored
- Put on a puppet show for younger siblings, or record it and send to younger cousins or friends
- Plant a flower garden in the front yard, or make/fill flower boxes
- Paint/draw pictures, or write letters to those who are lonely
- Put Christmas lights on your house or fence
- Decorate an Easter Tree in your front yard
- Make bird treats or a bird feeder and hang in your front yard
- Put out bits of twine and string for birds to gather for their nests
- Plant butterfly and bee friendly flowers
- Order/send some bath salts and tea to Grandma
- Order/send vegetable or flower seeds to another family
- Order/send art or craft supplies to another family
- Order/send new books (maybe Miss Rumphius!) to another family
Missed a post or three? Click here: Our 19 DAY JOURNEY Archive
COMMENT BELOW HOW YOU AND YOUR KIDS TAKE ON THE MISS RUMPHIUS CHALLENGE!
Please pass this post on to another family who may want to take the Miss Rumphius Challenge!
Love, ~Our Holistic Homeschool~
4 Replies to “Day 7: The Miss Rumphius Challenge: DO SOMETHING TO MAKE THE WORLD MORE BEAUTIFUL! ~cultivating service with your kids~”
Yay! It sounds like special FaceTime sessions may be coming Grandma’s way and bath salts too! 😂. I forgot about Miss Rumphius!